Making memories on
Morse Avenue since 1912
Long before television and radio were household staples — eons before DVDs and streaming video — there was vaudeville and the Nickelodeon. In fast-growing, hard-working Chicago, they were a respite for people seeking a bit of escape, a little laughter, maybe some wonder.
For the residents of Rogers Park, The Morse Theater, opened in 1912, was a special place, an oasis of entertainment when entertainment was something special. It operated under the Morse name until the 1930s, when the facility was remodeled with an Art Deco theme and renamed the Co-Ed Theater because of its proximity to Loyola University. The Co-Ed closed in 1954, and from 1956 until 2008 the building served in various capacities, from synagogue to a shoe repair store.
and a new beginning
The theater underwent a multimillion dollar restoration and renovation project in the mid-2000s, restoring the property to its Art-Deco glory. Renamed Mayne Stage for its location on Morse and Wayne, the event venue is not only a sought-after location for weddings, corporate events and private parties, it is poised to become a magnet for significant development in this north side neighborhood.